Can and Can't the Epic Battle Continues

Melissa's post on the guilt she struggles with on a daily basis hit me hard. I live with a ridiculous amount of guilt, too. An insane amount. This guilt is generally built around what I can no longer do for my family, not just my husband and kids, but my sister, my nieces and nephews, as well. Lately, I've really been trying to shove some of the guilt aside to make room for a little creativity. It's goes a little like this:

I can't cook, but I can instruct the kids through FaceTime from my bed. And I can send them to the store now that they are older to get needed ingredients. This is a work in progress, but I'm optimistic.

I can't blitz clean the house like I used to, but I can choose one light chore a day to try. (wipe down the sink, clear off a little clutter from this table, wipe up a small spill, etc.)

I can't do secular work, but I can give my husband attention, hugs, little messages that I know help.

I can't go on errand runs like I used to, but I can make one needed phone call a day or fill out one needed form, etc.

I can't attend all my kids functions, but I can listen lively and attentively when they tell me about them. Or have it videoed.

I can't shower today, but I can wash my face and neck and feel just a tad better. A bird-bath is even better than that, if I can manage it!

I can't separate and fold in the blink of an eye anymore, but I can chose a couple things to put up and leave it at that.

These little accomplishments help me out so much. I still am not able to complete all the little things either, but what I do get done goes a long way! And that gives me some ammo to aim at the guilt.

Comments

Popular Posts