Definition

I was doing a government assignment last night and I realized that everyone is defined by something. Their job, their skin, their speech, or even, an illness.

I, personally, hate labels, but I find that I define myself by what I have. I've found myself saying more than once "I have ADHD. Can you tell?" I've said things like this to others, but to myself, I've said worse. I've said things like "My depression makes me ---" "My ADHD makes me ---" and other similar things to myself, not realizing that I'm degrading myself until much later.

I find that the more I realize there's something wrong with me, the more I find that I label myself. I know I'm not the only one who does this. I know everyone has done this at some point. For someone who hates labels I need to stop labeling myself! Sorry, mini rant…

We're all defined by something; you just thought of something didn't you? Exactly my point. We all have something, be what it may, people know us by. No one seems to be able to break past those bonds, they always find us. It almost seems like we can't be our own person. We are those  definitions, and we can't break free because we define others by something even if we don't realize it.

Comments

Popular Posts