Lost for words

     As someone who has spent the majority of my life using writing to fully express myself, there is nothing more frustrating than lacking the words to do so. I do not lack inspiration, just the ability to properly represent it through written word. I have started more pieces than I could ever possibly finish, and they just don't mesh well enough to make one whole from many parts.
     I'm not sure where this sudden lack of vocabulary is coming from. Sure, I could blame it on the pain I feel or the meds I'm on, but never in my life have I felt this way. I will have to confirm with my mother, but I would theorize that I have had more words than natural from the moment I could speak.
     I have sat down and written poems and short stories a million times, each time beginning with one line or one thought, and each time being able to complete the work. The other night I was struck, like every time before, with what I thought would be the start of a great piece of poetry. I wrote the first lines down and then stared at it for an hour. Nothing. I have revisited those lines twenty times and still, nothing. I have nothing left for it, nothing to add.
     This is causing me so much anxiety. Have I lost the capacity to continue? Am I losing words faster than I am learning new ones? Is my brain forgetting how to follow through on a thought? Maybe, or, maybe what I have is all I need. Perhaps there is nothing left for this particular piece because it simply does not need more.      I will finish by putting these words down right here, sharing the thought that has been simply haunting me.

There are many deep cracks in me,
What escaped through them is what I used to be.


Comments

Popular Posts