Small Accomplishments = Huge Victories

Lately I have been struggling more than normal with pain. I have had far more bad days, mostly sleepless nights and far too many tears. That is not what I want to focus on though. I want to talk about the little accomplishments this week, the things that matter most.
This week has been one filled with activity in our home. It was homecoming week for my eldest child, our only girl. She is a girl filled with a love for her high school and her school spirit is impressive to say the least. She loves to participate in everything she can and takes so much pride in every moment. She was a very busy bee this week. Aside from all the activities that everyone is a part of, because she plays Lacrosse, she had a part in the homecoming parade on Friday. Of course, the football game is her second favorite part of the week and she had a really good time. I'm so proud of her for being so involved and for really getting the most out of her high school years.
The dance takes place on Saturday and this is where I feel victorious. Friday night I did not sleep much. Last I remember the clock read 5:45 am. My significant other had to work and instead of me waking up at 8 with our 2 year old, my daughter did. She gave him breakfast and hung out with him just to let Mom get some sleep. It was the most amazing thing she could have done for me. It gave me just enough energy to get her ready. We sat in the bathroom and talked while I applied her makeup, we listened to music and giggled a bit. I finished her makeup and then I did her hair. She kept it fairly simple for me this year and although I had to take small breaks here and there, I did it!! Such a huge victory! I feel so accomplished because I did not have to take long breaks, I did not have to ask her to do some of the work, nope I did it. Most importantly she was so happy with the way it all turned out. She looked beautiful, she always does, but her eyes sparkled and her smile was so bright! This is something that may seem like such a small accomplishment for most, but after the week I have endured, it was an incredible victory.
There are so many things that can be considered victories. Whether it is making dinner, showering or even just getting out of bed. We have to find the joy in the daily victories! It would be easy to focus on the things I fail at, there are so many things in that category, but I would prefer to spend my time celebrating the small successes!

Comments

Popular Posts