A Fond Farewell

Today was my last day at the Fred Meyer location I have worked at these last 4 years.  I am transferring to another location as well as switching departments.  I will be going back into CCK (operations) where I will be the back-up person for both the FMN/TA office and the Teller room.  I've worked File Maintenance before, but it's been two years, so I have to refresh my training.  I liked it a lot back then, though.  I enjoy the morning schedule and I am pretty good at the tasks involved.  It is rewarding to be responsible for a position that you handle well.  Even though I will be at a different store I will be working with a few of my favorite co-workers ever.  A friend of mine is the lead teller.  Not only will I be backing up her office, but she'll be training me too.  Years ago I worked with the manager that poached me from my store and he was a pleasure to work with.

There will be more than a few things I miss, however.  I have come to thoroughly enjoy my job since moving to the apparel department 2 years ago.  I have held many positions in almost every section of the department.  I like the organization, the movement, the problem solving, the creative freedom.  I am going to miss it, often.  But, even if the other store had not been in need of a reliable back-up, I would have soon been looking for a position to transfer into. I have been having a rough time of it since I returned to work a couple of weeks ago.  Walking on the concrete floor for 6 to 8 hours each night is causing pain and exhaustion. By the time I get home from work I am walking like an old woman and I am not fully recovered by the time I have to go back in the next day. I just can't keep up with the job anymore.  It's time to move onto something less taxing.


Like most changes that occur in life there will be good and bad.  I'm an overall optimistic person, so I will choose to focus on the good.  There will be times when I am nostalgic about what I have left and times when am frustrated with the position I am moving into.  That would be true about any job.  That would be true about not changing anything at all.  The real deciding factor here is that from now on, I have to think about what my body can handle when making these types of decisions.  For the time being, for at least as long as I am suffering the symptoms of this flare up, I need a less physically demanding position than the one I've been working.

Comments

Popular Posts