Professional Loyalty

The company I work for was bought out by a major grocery chain a little over ten years ago.  Part of the contract forbade Grocery Co from making any administrative, creative, or finance policy changes for ten years.  Some of our policies are protected for a longer period of time, but within another five years we will no longer be in control of our own business fate.  

Grocery Co has already swooped in with some pretty significant changes this year. Middle management especially felt the strain of these changes.  Like everyone else at our location, I moaned about it.  But I am not convinced that all change is bad. And I am not willing to let things that I can't stop, ruin my days or my enjoyment of my job. I have a great job working for a company that I like, doing something that I am good at, while being provided much needed medical insurance.

I'm just scared.  The more changes I see coming and that are already here, the more I see our company changing at it's core.  It's turning into something that it was never intended to be and that saddens me.  Most of us have to work, but I have been so fortunate to do so in a place that I am happy to be.  How will I handle it if this place turns into just another retail spot?  My job exhausts me.  I push myself hard to keep up with my four day per week schedule. I do it because I am necessary to the daily running of this store, I do it because I want to participate in accomplishing the best this store can.  I do it, because I really do love my job.  Despite my constant bellyaching, I wouldn't want to work for any other company.

As we become more generic and fall in with the crowd, will I lose pride in my employer?  Will I lose loyalty to the company that provides my paycheck?  Will it become only that?  How will I continue to motivate myself to get up and face the standing and walking and fixing and finding?  What is going to stop me from giving up?  I'm suffering from a severe fatalist outlook right now.  I'm happy today, but I am predicting that I (and most of my co-workers) may not be tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts